Pimlico to Warren Street walk
Part one: Pimlico to Parliament via the Tate Britain
(Photos/words © urban75, 3rd March 2007)
In an attempt to fight off a furious hangover from the previous night's Offline club, I decided to walk a tourist-tastic route from Pimlico to Warren Street, taking in Tate Britain, Parliament, Trafalgar Square, Whitehall and Leicester Square.
Unlike some of the more earthy aromas that tend to circulate around tube stations, the large flower stall inside Pimlico station guarantees a very agreeable whiff when you get off the escalators.
The impressively solid Georgian architecture on the way to Tate Britain
Curious metal sculpture in Pimlico that looks a bit like a Cyberman from Dr Who.
The headquarters of the British Secret Intelligence Service, the SIS Building, is also known as the MI6 Building, Legoland and Babylon-on-Thames on account of its Babylonian looks.
The building sits on the Albert Embankment by the River Thames beside Vauxhall Bridge.
Landscape gardens on Millbank by Vauxhall Bridge.
Timless British scene featuring a Sir Giles Gilbert Scott K2 red telephone box.
Henry Moore's Locking Piece bronze (1963), on Millbank close to the Tate Britain.
Covered parasols, Tate Britain garden.
Tate Britain. The gallery originally opened on 21 July 1897 as the National Gallery of British Art and has been extended several times since.
In 2000, the gallery was renamed 'Tate Britain' after the 'Tate Modern' was opened on Bank Side the same year.
The front part of the building was designed by Sidney R.J. Smith and features a classical portico with a beautiful dome inside.
Looking up at the glassed dome.
Tate Britain serves as the national gallery of British art, covering the period from 1500 to the present day, and hosts the controversial Turner prize every year.
A group pose for pictures on the steps of the Tate Britain.
The striking portico.
» More photos of Tate Britain
Heading east towards Lambeth Bridge.
Lambeth Bridge, a five-span steel arch designed by Sir George Humphreys and architect Sir Reginald Blomfield.
Opened on 19 July 1932 by King George V, the bridge carries four lanes of road traffic and replaced an 1860 a suspension bridge.
Looking across the Thames at Lambeth Palace.
A couple looking across the river from Victoria Tower Gardens.
Steps up to Lambeth Bridge.
« back to homepage Houses of Parliament »